If you've landed on this page, you're probably in a place where you're considering taking a break from alcohol or cutting it out of your life completely.
Here at Reframe, we want to meet you on your journey, wherever you're at. This article will detail a couple important tips to quit drinking, and if you're interested on taking some steps toward cutting back or stopping alcohol use with us, download the Reframe app. We'd love to have you.
- Determine your "why." This is made up of some of the reasons you're considering quitting or cutting back on drinking. These reasons could be physical, emotional, or have to do with relationships. When you can identify your "why," you can always come back to it when you need to center yourself.
- Find a support system/community. One of the best things you can do is to surround yourself with people who support you. Identify trusted members of your network and confide in them. You can also find communities online or in-person with others who are on a similar journey. This way, you can hold each other accountable and be there for one another throughout this process.
- Practice turning down a drink. In our culture, drinking alcohol is extremely commonplace, and it may even go against the current to turn down a drink. Take time to practice ways to say "no."
- Change your environment. Remove alcohol from your home. Take a different route to work that doesn't pass by the liquor store. In changing simple environmental factors, you can remove yourself from situations that may lead you to drink.
- Self-care & coping mechanisms. Oftentimes, we drink alcohol as a form of coping. Replace the time you'd spend drinking with other self-care and coping mechanisms, such as exercise, a new hobby, journaling, etc.
- Learn the benefits. If you haven't read our article about the benefits of cutting down on drinking yet, check it out here. When you know of the benefits you're gaining from a changed relationship with alcohol, it may encourage you to keep going.
- Have grit and persistence despite setbacks. It's incredibly common to experience setbacks, and it doesn't make you any less. When you experience a setback, reach out to your support system. Remind yourself that you can do this, and you can keep going. Your progress is not defined by a bump in the road.
Remember, you've got this. We at Reframe are here to support and help you along this journey. Join us today, and begin working toward a more fulfilling life.